Monday, December 21, 2009

Am I too old to be a competitive figure skater?

I just turned 13 and I have been skating for almost 2 years. I can do all single jumps but when I am at practice I see little 7 year olds doing double lutzes! They`re really good and it makes me feel old! I`ve never even tested before! What should I do?Am I too old to be a competitive figure skater?
Don't worry about the 7-year-olds! When they're 13, ask them how their double lutz is. :) Puberty slows them down a little bit then. hehehe Nature is evil. :)





You're never too old to be a competitive skater! There are 80-year-olds still competing. I hear what you're saying though. I started skating late too at 12. By 13 or 14 I was doing competitions. I was irritated with the little ones who could do double axels while I belly flopped on my single, but guess what.....I'm still skating and they quit years ago when they discovered boys and high school. I hated being 13 and skating with all 8-year-olds in my group -- they already have the ';cute'; factor going for them, but it made me skate harder and want to test higher so I could be with my friends in higher levels. The itsy-bitsy ones might be cute, but when you work hard and make your jumps huge, it makes their jumps look like a hiccup. :) We could all do double everythings if we were all 3-foot-nothing and 50 pounds! Ignore the little ones and focus on your skating. Skate because you love it and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. There are a lot of skaters like you too out there! You might meet some at competitions.





Are you skating with a basic skills program? If so, you can do a basic skills competition without any tests. And even if you do test, don't worry....practice hard and you'll do great....in your test and competition.





Good luck! :)Am I too old to be a competitive figure skater?
don't pay attention to them they are just trying to make you jealous.you aren't to old to do competitive ice skating you can stop at what ever stage you want to.i am 11 and there is a 11 year old that thinks she can do a waltz jump but she can't do any thing she also thinks that she can do a sit spin and she does it all wrong.
I'm 18. I'm just starting to do an axel. I thought I was too old, but last year I went to ISI Worlds and there were 5 other girls in my category! I thought I was the only one in the world that was 18 and couldn't land an axel. You're never too old to skate. ISI Worlds even had an event for people 80+ years to compete! However USFSA is a little more harsh with ages so if you're concerned with that start your US tests right away, but if it doesn't matter to you compete ISI. But no, you're never too old. (my mom learned to skate when I learned how to skate, she comes with me to practice and she's almost 50!)
just be commited
of course your not! its ok they just practice alot like 7 days a week LOL...you should practice alot and get a coach
I'm 13 and Ive been skating for almost 3 years it is pretty defeating to see little kids that are better than you but i compete and i as lo see this woman every once in a while training with us and she has to be about 45 but she competes so you still have plenty of time.
No, definintly not. Competitions typically divide groups by age, skill etc., but there are even opportunities as you get older. The adult track starts around 25. You typically see a lot of younger girls competing at these high levels, but really, you just need the skills, and there's going to be a place for you to compete. If you're really worried, ask your coach; coaches know just about everything! ;)
I am 11, and I have the same problem. Don't pay attention to them, pay attention to yourself. You can be a competitive skater if you practise, and believe in yourself,(I know it sounds super cheesie, but it's true, trust me). I have never tested either, I have been skating for 7 months, though.





I already have a solo. And I will start competing in September.





Best of Luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment