Wednesday, December 30, 2009

How do you figure out shipping costs for ebay/etsy?

I was interested in selling a few handmade bead jewelery items on etsy, but I was curious as to how you can figure out the cost of shipping an item before you have an address. I've seen with etsy and ebay that people list a shipping cost even for custom items. Is there a website that you use to figure this out?





Thanks in advance for any information!How do you figure out shipping costs for ebay/etsy?
Package your jewelry up like you were going to mail it, weigh it, and use the postage calculator at usps.com to estimate it to the farthest part of the US (for me in PA, I calculate shipping to Alaska!).





If you are over cautious like I am, I actually list a smidge over what I think shipping will cost (include the cost of your packaging materials too!), and then refund back any excess. You can check out the Policies section of my etsy shop to see how that works - http://CleanRinse.etsy.com How do you figure out shipping costs for ebay/etsy?
Figure out what the item will weigh when shipped. Go to the USPS web site and find out which is the furthest zone from the area you will be shipping from - that will be the most expensive charge for your item. Use that shipping charge as your flat rate shipping fee. Or you can just set it so it figures shipping after the sale based on zip codes.

No comments:

Post a Comment