Saturday, December 26, 2009

I am confused about what career I would like to pursue in the future. How can I figure all this out?

I'm a highschool student, and as the prospect of college nears, so does the fact that I will soon have to chose a career. It is important to me that I figure it out soon so that I'll be able to plan my future accordingly. What are some steps I can take or tools I can utilize that will assist in helping me figure out a career choice.





I don't know what to do and I'm nervous.


Any advice is appreciated.I am confused about what career I would like to pursue in the future. How can I figure all this out?
I am in the exact same situation. I have a plan though. I am hoping on attending college after high school. It doesnt really matter on your first two years of college because 1. you can enter as an ';undecided major'; and just take basic college classes that everyone takes, regardless of their major and 2. if you decide to transfer to a school that is better for your future selected career, to get your BA or MA, only that second school shows up on your degree! so dont stress, excel in school, be patient, and find something you like.I am confused about what career I would like to pursue in the future. How can I figure all this out?
At your age, you should look around and see what you like to do.. Clearly, medicine, accounting, law are great careers and you will always have a job and make good money.. Don't let people tell you that money should not be a deciding factor.. It should..





Volunteer at a hospital.. Speak to a counselor, and read up on it on the Internet.
It's okay, you are only in high school.





When you do get into college, take all the general education classes. DO NOT pick a major right away. You will end up changing it and being in school longer because you took classes that now dont matter.





I didnt pick my major until the middle of sophomore year. Thankfully, everything worked out because I had already chosen a major my freshman year and had classes that didn't count toward anything.





Just think about what hobbies you like, what subjects in school you enjoy and are semi-good at.





Take care!





Oh, and choose something you really enjoy, ignoring its salary, because you'll have to go to work everday until you are 65. That's a long time!
I would highly recommend pursuing what is conducive to becoming an entrepreneur of your own business, whether in college or elsewhere.





I would recommend against going the direction of psychology, sociology and the liberal arts, for lack of knowing what you want to do.





Although medicine is fine, I wouldn't recommend entering it either, if you don't have a true calling.





Again, I would tend to go the entrepreneur route. College may or may not be advisable, and there's also nothing necessarily wrong with learning by doing in the job world.

No comments:

Post a Comment