Wednesday, December 30, 2009

How do I figure out the square footage of an area when all I have is the total perimeter in inches?

That is, I do NOT have the length of any one sideHow do I figure out the square footage of an area when all I have is the total perimeter in inches?
You cannot. unless it is a circle. Nothing else works.





Ex. 100';. 10';x40'; sides= 400 sq';


25';x25'; sides= 625 sq';How do I figure out the square footage of an area when all I have is the total perimeter in inches?
You can't. You need to know more about the shape of the area.





Suppose you're told an area is 4 square inches.





If the area is square, then its perimeter is 8 inches (2 in./side)





Then again, the area might be a 4 X 1 rectangle, in which case its perimeter is 10 inches.





Or the area might be circular, in which case the perimeter (i.e., its circumference) is 4 鈭毾€ in.
You can't unless you have additional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment